Eskom’s former CEO Brian Molefe has taken issue with the State Capture Commission’s summons issued for him to appear.
Molefe took the stand at the Commission on Friday, 15 January 2021, to answer for a flurry of allegations linking him to dirty dealings at Eskom. He was implicated in former public protector Thuli Madonsela’s state of capture report, being accused of allowing the Gupta family access to lucrative contracts at the power utility.
Molefe has questioned why the summons was issued, despite him having numerously volunteered to take the stand.
“In December, to my surprise what I get is a summons. A summons to a person who has been begging to come. The commission has a right to issue summons but I felt like it was unnecessarily hostile…even if I had been sent an SMS message chairperson, I would have been here,” he said.
His testimony is in relation to matters pertaining to Eskom, including two payments of R1.6 billion and R659 million.
Molefe unhappy with Zondo Commission for sending documents late
Molefe said after receiving the summons, they reached out again to the Zondo Commission, seeking clarity on what his testimony would be in relation to. However his team only received a response on Tuesday, just days before his scheduled appearance.
Molefe said the commission sent through more than 1 400 pages of documents, which he tirelessly sifted through, to avoid seeking a postponement.
“I’ve spent the last few days going through the documents, I did not sleep last night…After all I had said that I had been ready for a very longtime. But it is unfortunate, the manner in which this was done. It is also unfortunate that it may portray me as a person who is not prepared,”
Former Eskom CEO Brian Molefe
In light of this, Molefe’s lawyer Thabane Masuku has told the commission’s chairperson Raymond Zondo, that his client would therefore not be able to answer all the questions put to him.
Msuku said Molefe would exercise his right not to incriminate himself at the state capture commission should he need to.